Thursday 10 February 2011

Double triumph at Shiplake Lock

Shiplake lock has been voted the best kept lock on the Thames
and... Howard Maitt is voted best keeper

10th Feb 2011

An article in the March edition of Canal Boat caught my eye, announcing Shiplake Lock as the winner of the best kept lock in 2011 and its assistant lock keeper winning the Say it with a Smile award.



I was unaware of the awards but I am not surprised at Shiplake's success. The staff were hugely friendly during our passage and welcomed my mad dash round the lock to grab some photos of the amazing flower displays.

The one which really grabbed my attention was the floral boat at the foot of the lock, where a sail had been made out of netting through which grew sweet peas.



It's great to see people take such a pride in their work and the awards are fully justified.

Congratulations Shiplake.

No comments: