Tuesday 29 June 2010

When the camera lies

Or: the impact of framing
29th June 2010

One of the latest OU assignments was to find a subject matter which can be reframed to dramatically alter the meaning of what is seen.

This is a technique much used in photo journalism and carefully cropped photos can be very deceptive. The problem was I couldnt se any subject matter to use.

I was right up against the deadline when I clicked open the blog to check that the daily post was ok and there it was, staring me in the face.

That wedding I reported on the way down the Birmingham Worcester Canal. Cut out the bride and groom and you have a gaggle of papparazzi photographing a model girl.



Pan out the the scene is transformed!



Both images are true representations of the scene before me but my cropping choice can almost make the photo lie.

Maybe I will take a closer look at those news photos in future.

No comments: